Tuesday, January 29, 2008

"Steadfast and Immovable, always abounding in good works"

Well, as I attended my daughter's young Women new beginnings and ponder on the theme for the year a came home and decided to read the entire scripture. I have to confess that I have read the Book of Mormon so many times and passed buy this verse, but just last night it has come with great power into my heart.

Here it is: Mosiah 5:15


15 Therefore, I would that ye should be steadfast and immovable, always abounding in good works, that Christ, the Lord God Omnipotent, may seal you his, that you may be brought to heaven, that ye may have everlasting salvation and eternal life, through the wisdom, and power, and justice, and mercy of him who created all things, in heaven and in earth, who is God above all. Amen.

What a great scriptures, the words of a great man, King Benjamin has being one of my hero's. Someone with so much spirituality in his life and so close to the Lord. In reading this verse it just came to me the realization of how much king Benjamin knew the Lord in his mortal life, and how much the dedication to help other and to serve and have the good works, has blessed his life with the knowledge of the Savior's true character.

So I have taken the time to seat down with my girls and explained to them that when we learn about the life of King Benjamin we understand what he meant by this scriptures. It is the good works, what we do for our fellow men that brings us all this things. This verse has great promises.

If we stay; 1. steadfast ( firmly fixed in place)
2. Immovable (incapable of being moved) ( no shift in values)
3. have Good Works ( abundantly) ( a lot)

Them we will: 1. Be sealed as Christ's children ( the Lord God Omnipotent)
2. be brought to heaven
3. have everlasting (indefinitely) salvation
4. Eternal Life
5. know the : a. wisdom of God
b. power of God
c. justice of God
d. mercy of God

How is that for a promise? I just love this verse and all the words of King Benjamin. I have a great desire to , one day, know him personally.
This scripture to me illustrate the life of the Savior who lived to serve, to do Good Works.
Our Heavenly Father has said that ti is his work and Glory to bring us immortality and Eternal life. this verse illustrate who this can be done. Be consistent , persevere and serve.
What a great example of service, dedication and steadfast our beloved prophet Gordon B. Hinckley has being to all of us. A life in the service of His God and his fellowmen. he will be greatly missed, and will live in our memories forever. May we never forget our goal. To Eternal Life with our Father.

Hugs

Carmen

2 comments:

Holly Schwendiman said...

So true! I think so many times we miss so many plain and precious truths because we are in such a hurry. I think that's why we hear the same things over and over again. I think President Hinckley just as all the other great prophets before him truly understood these plain and precious truths and their lives did indeed embody them - what amazing examples and what an incredible reunion it must be for them!

Hugs,
Holly

Holly Schwendiman said...

I too love King Benjamin and find such comfort and strength in his teachings. I like the way you broke down the lesson for your kids. It is a great scripture and theme isn't it?

Hugs,
Holly